Terms and Conditions
(Policy for Domain Name Registration Under NP CCTLD)
The applicant who wants to register a domain name under NP CCTLD must read and agree to the policy stated below:
- Domain registration/modification under .NP is free of cost **.
- The registration of a domain name is a listing service. The listing service of names within the .NP delegated name space is undertaken on a First Come - First Served basis (except in cases where it infringes upon a registered trade names and the conditions listed below), moderated by the .NP domain's administration policies as determined by the delegated authority (MOS-NP). The registration function does not trade in, or license in any way any entity (including the listing requesting entity) to trade in the requested name.
- All registration information will be considered as information within the public domain, and will be accessible using the Internet as the publication vehicle. No provision is made concerning acceptance of information under any imposed condition of confidentiality or non-disclosure. Domain registration is available only in the standard structure i.e. com.np, org.np, edu.np, net.np, gov.np etc. Please refer to np-ccTLDs for the complete list of accepted NP domains. The requested domain name must be:-
- An exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant's name of trademark; or
- Otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.
- The party requesting registration of this name certifies that, to her/his knowledge, the use of this name does not violate trademark or other statues.
- The registrant need to submit scanned copies of original documents for the verification process.
- Regarding domain names:-
- Requested domain name must be of at least 3 characters.
- Alphanumeric and dash (hyphen) are accepted. The first and last characters may not be a dash (hyphen).
- Internationalized Domain Names are not offered for now. Requests starting with the characters "xn--" (i.e. "xn" followed by two dashes) may not be registered.
- Domain Names containing offensive or generic or inflammatory words will not be registered.
- Domain admin name, email address must be of the actual owner of the domain and not of the technical contact.
- Registering a domain name does not confer any legal rights to that name and any disputes between parties over the rights to use a particular name are to be settled between the contending parties using normal legal methods. MOS-NP has neither the resources nor the legal obligation to screen requested Domain Names to determine if the use of a Domain Name by an Applicant may infringe upon the right(s) of a third party.
- If a party claims that a domain name already registered violates its registered trade name, or an obvious derivation of its registered company name, MOS-NP reserves the right to transfer the domain to the claiming party provided that it had registered trade name, trademarks or registered company name with Nepal Government at least one year before the registration date of the domain name in question registered with MOS-NP. In this, and all other matters, decision of a court of law with proper jurisdiction in Nepal, if so sought, will be final.
- Any claim to trade name or copyright under .NP domain name is considered valid ONLY if it is registered with an official trade-name/copyright/patent office in Nepal. Acceptance of the listing entry by the delegated authority confers no rights to the applicant regarding the legitimacy or otherwise of the association of the name with the applicant, nor does it confer to the applicant any other rights associated with ownership of the name, or any rights to its use.
- No adjudication is made within the registration function as to whether the applicant has a legitimate right to a name. The applicant in lodging the request for a domain name informs the delegated authority that it is asserting a claimed right to a name. In the case of conflicting name request between an applicant and an existing listing held by the delegated authority, the matter will be referred to clause number (9) and (12). If they do not apply, it is left to the parties concerned (applicant and listed entity) to resolve such matters amicably, and report to the delegated authority if the resolution includes a change of registration details.
- Existing domain name may be removed from the registration function's records upon receipt of written advice indicating that the list entry should be removed from the registry, on condition that the original applicant (or corporate entity) submits the advice to the delegated authority.
- Foreign corporation/Multi-national company can only register domain that suggests its company or trade name and cannot register other generic domain. However, the applicant must have registered its company/trade name with Nepal Government.
- Except for some internationally well known domains, MOS-NP will not screen whether a requested domain conflicts with an international domain or not.
Consequently, as an express condition and material inducement of the grant of an applicant's ("Applicant") request to register a Domain Name, Applicant represents, agrees and warrants as follows:
Applicant's statements in the application are true and Applicant has the right to use the Domain Name as requested in the Application; Applicant has a bona fide intention to use the Domain Name on a regular basis on the Internet; The use or registration of the Domain Name by Applicant does not interfere with or infringe the right of any third party in any jurisdiction with respect to trademark, service mark, trade name, company name or any other intellectual property right; Applicant is not seeking to use the Domain Name for any unlawful purpose, including, without limitation, tortuous interference with contract or prospective business advantage, unfair competition, injuring the reputation of another, or for the purpose of confusing or misleading a person, whether natural or incorporated. Applicant's statements in the application are true and Applicant has the right to use the Domain Name as requested in the Application.
MOS-NP WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF USE, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, OR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING LOST PROFITS). REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF MOS-NP HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
** It is available free of cost because Mercantile, which is also maintaining primary name server for NP is providing this as a service to the IT sector of Nepal to encourage Nepali businesses, organizations and individuals to have online presence and will remain so as long as Mercantile continues providing it. MOS-NP doesn't add any cost for the services it provides regarding the domain name registrations.
Please direct any correspondence regarding domain names to email@example.com
NP ccTLD Registration Services
MERCANTILE COMMUNICATIONS PVT. LTD.
Hiti Pokhari, Durbarmarg, Kathmandu, Nepal
P. O. Box 66
Tel: 977-1-444-5920 / 444-0773 Ext: 172